Healing was a very important part of Jesus’ ministry when he walked the face of the earth. The Risen Lord continues to provide healing grace through the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick. The anointing with the oil of the sick is conferred by a priest to any Catholic who has a serious health condition and is need of healing grace. This Sacrament can be received by those who have a serious physical or mental illness. It can also help the sick person who is preparing to pass from this life to eternal life.
If you or someone you know needs the anointing of the sick, please call the Parish Office 815-633-6311. The priests will set up an appointment for the anointing. Additionally, any priest is able to get into the hospital, hospice, nursing home, private residence, etc. in emergency situations.
The special grace of the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick has as its effects:
- the uniting of the sick person to the passion of Christ, for his own good and that of the whole Church;
- the strengthening, peace, and courage to endure in a Christian manner the sufferings of illness or old age;
- the forgiveness of sins, if the sick person was not able to obtain it through the sacrament of Penance;
- the restoration of health, if it is conducive to the salvation of his soul;
- the preparation for passing over to eternal life.
Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraph 1532